From "Creed," by Dom Helder Cámara

I want to believe that the whole world

Is my home, the field I sow,

And that all reap what all have sown.

I will not believe that I can combat oppression out there

If I tolerate injustice here.

I want to believe that what is right

Is the same here and there

And that I will not be free

While even one human being is excluded.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

December and January Pics

Even Jesus went on vacation (I don´t know if this is true, and just compared myself to Jesus, but let´s move on).
So did I...three precious weeks with multiple wack-o activities--visiting the JVs in Belize!!--that I will go into in further detail más adelante. For now, enjoy these tantalizing pics.
In early December, the JVs and our friend Benja took to the streets to sing (and tocar) hymns to the Virgin Mary, in honor of her Immaculate Conception. Though hundreds of Nicas were out that night, you can be sure our group received the attention we (may not have) deserved. Feliz Purísima!





Some friends jamming to Nica tunes in our living room. Listen to a song they´re teaching me, by the famous Nica duo Guardabarranco!









The first English sign I´ve seen in a long time. When you reach Belize after leaving Guatemala, the color of the water changes from brownish-green to powder blue, and the stress leaves your chest. At least that was what happened to me.





The PG JV house! Complete with mold, ants, collapsing roofing...and smiley JVs (pictured...Allison, second-year from Wisconsin), coconut trees, hammock, fresh fruits and veggies (take that, Nica). Across the street from the Caribbean. Guau.



Okay, this photo has nothing to do with vacation. These are kids from El Recreo, the barrio where I work. I sign off with this photo to prove how content I was to come back to them :).

No comments:

Post a Comment