From "Creed," by Dom Helder Cámara

I want to believe that the whole world

Is my home, the field I sow,

And that all reap what all have sown.

I will not believe that I can combat oppression out there

If I tolerate injustice here.

I want to believe that what is right

Is the same here and there

And that I will not be free

While even one human being is excluded.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Jacuzzi in the Fog

That will forever be my strongest impression of Thanksgiving 2009 in McMinnville, Oregon. Every single night, after a turkey dinner with nine relatives, a walk downtown under Christmas lights, or a nose buried in a book on Orientalism for my thesis, I'd hop into a 104 degree jacuzzi with my mother. The air around was never more than 40 degrees. Around me were our wood fence's mahogany pillars and the spidery trees that grow around our yard. The waxing moon was usually visible between the branches and behind all the fog.
UH, CAN YOU SAY PARADISE?
I am absolutely convinced that every human being capable of such a thing should either own a dog or a jacuzzi (or, if you're in the cool club like me, both). How else could such utter relaxation be possible?
Other Oregony stuff I did this break: being silly with my cousins in our front yard, making sangria, exploring fall leaves. I found one tree amid a bunch of green with bright orange leaves that hadn't fallen yet...and named it the Heather tree :).

Hoping your Thanksgiving was equally fantastic. Good luck to students with the rest of the semester; good luck to humans with the rest of their lives. Haha. Hasta pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment