From "Creed," by Dom Helder Cámara

I want to believe that the whole world

Is my home, the field I sow,

And that all reap what all have sown.

I will not believe that I can combat oppression out there

If I tolerate injustice here.

I want to believe that what is right

Is the same here and there

And that I will not be free

While even one human being is excluded.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Random Thanks

Family, Faith, Friends, Food, Home, Education, Health...these are always on my Thanksgiving Grafetful list. But I was sitting at LAX enjoying the squirt as my spearmint gum molded to my mouth and realized that the list could be so much more longer and random than this. How many things you consider mundane are actually amazing gifts, for which today is the day to be grafeful? Examples:

the juiciness of the first few chews of gum
tickling
dancing on hardwood floors in extra large socks
the pronounced click of a laptop keyboard
a real toilet
sense of smell: dish soap, deodorant, fall Oregon leaves, cornbread for stuffing, sweetsweetsangria
the goosebumps when your skin unexpectedly touches someone else's
(naked dip in) the jacuzzi in my backyard
plush pillows

Your own examples?
Something further. This morning I opened my eyes and found myself staring at a copy of The Last Lecture on the office bookshelf. I've never actually read it, but I didn't have to. Something else to be grateful for today: life itself, and that we have more of it. Every moment, every single moment, is absolutely precious. ENJOY IT!

1 comment:

  1. You certainly do! And I appreciate how you write about it. Again you put a smile to my face, thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete